Quinoa with Acorn Squash and Pomegranate
Serves 4 as an entree, 6 as a side
- 3/4 cup of quinoa, cooked
- 1 acorn or kabocha squash
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 spring onions, green parts only, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for roasting squash
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil.
2. With a sharp knife, cut the top and bottom off the squash. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and, using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. Cut each piece in half again lengthwise. Then slice each quarter lengthwise, creating 1/2 inch slices. Place squash slices into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Spread across the pan and arrange so each piece sits flat. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the 1/4 cup of olive oil, the lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley, and spring onions. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Once the acorn squash is finished, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
5. Mix together the cooked quinoa, pomegranate seeds, raisins, and dressing in a big serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Top with roasted squash pieces and enjoy!